Views

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Black Clouds of Exhaust

In California, every car has to get its exhaust analyzed to help keep the air clean. After spending the past nine months in India, I was sure that practice did not exist here. To my surprise, I had to take my motorcycle to a center the other day to get its emissions tested.

Emissions Test
Emissions Testing Stand

This is all fine and well, but someone is not paying attention to reality. The buses and auto-rickshaws here spit out black gunk like crazy, and those things run all hours. I would be amazed if any one rickshaw in Bangalore could pass an emissions test. If a Whitefield bus backed up to the testing center, the attendant would die of asphyxiation! I doubt that motorcycle and car engines are the source of the majority of the air pollution.

No comments:

Post a Comment